Trail Blazers Award – Based on involvement in the running community before 2004.
- Ranked as one of the world’s top ten fastest marathoners (1977).
- Won the 1977 and 1979 Maryland Marathons.
- Placed second at the 1977 Boston Marathon in 2:51:12.
- Considered to be one of the fathers of modern day distance running in the USA.
- Was the second person in the world and the first Black to run over 100 marathons and ultras (1966).
- Became the first African-American to represent USA in the Olympic Marathon (1952).
Long Distance Runner Award – The candidate must have been a NBMA member for at least five years.
Mr. Frederick F. Davis III of Cleveland, OH
- Member of Cleveland’s Team Marathon
- Completed over 450 marathons and ultramarathons.
- Age group award winner.
- 50 States marathon finisher.
Ms. Angela Ivory (late) of Nashville, TN
- Completed 303 marathons and ultramarathons.
- 50 States marathon finisher, possibly first Black female.
Running Community Service Award
Ms. Frances Gilbert of Cincinnati, OH
- Co-Founder of Cincinnati’s Avondale Running Club in 1984. They started running together in 1980.
- Flying Pig Marathon Board member, since 1999.
- Completed over 300 road races.
- Won over 150 trophies.
Mr. Warren Elzy of Cleveland, OH
- Co-Founder of Cleveland’s Team Marathon in 1982.
- Received countless awards for top three age group finishes at various race distances.
- Finished many races in the top 3% to 5% overall and was the overall winner in some races.
- Completed over 30 marathons with a 2:37:37 PR in 1989.
Running Club Award – South Fulton Running Partners (of Atlanta, GA)