Profession: FitHair Expert, Speaker and Writer
Describe your childhood:
Alexandria describes growing up in “a young-Black golden girls sitcom, as she lived under the same roof with her mother and grandmother. Gifted, intelligent and active at a young age, Alexandria excelled in anything she put her mind to thus leading her ahead of her peers being accepted to the Episcopal School of Dallas.
She was active in a variety of sports and activities such as track and field to the debate team. She achieved a full debate summer camp scholarship to Stanford University and often credits the initiation for helping her craft speeches and hidden talents. Her unique speaking abilities and a passion for change lead to her being voted as to the Vice-President of her High School Student Council. No other African-American student had achieved this office.
All of this was accomplished while maintaining her grades, mentoring to other students, and being employed at the age of 17. Her achievements and hard work were honored with multiple scholarships and grants to Texas Tech University, particularlly the renowned Horatio–Alger Association Scholar 2012 recipient.
High School or College Highlights or Awards:
- Student Council – 1st black vice-president of student council
- Debate – Varsity and 10 top 10 competition finisher
- Scholarship Recipient/Awardee: Concord Missionary Baptist Church Scholar, Presidential Freedom Scholar, Horatio–Alger Association Scholar, The Texas Tech University College of Mass Commutations Scholar, Monster Inc. Diversity Leadership Program, Mentor Tech Scholar.
- College Achievements
- Presidential and 4-time Dean’s List Scholar
- The Lauro Cavazos & Ophelia Powell-Malone Mentoring Program – Founding member, Protégé, Peer Assistance Committee member, Vice President and Volunteer Coordinator
- Gamma Beta Phi Honor’s Society Fall – Member, Social Chair Coordinator and Public Relations Coordinator
- Horn/Knapp – Resident Assistant and Community Planner
- Diversity Awareness Team – Founding Member and Social Chair
- Lambda Phi Eta – Communication Honor Society
|High School||Episcopal School of Dallas||Dallas, TX||H.S.|
|Undergraduate||Texas Tech University||Lubbock, TX||B.A.||Communication Studies|
|Other||Texas Tech University||Lubbock, TX||B.G.S.||English, Mass Communication, Psychology|
- Dream Weaver
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Sports Nutritionist
- National Black Marathoners Association
- International Association of Black Triathletes
- Runners Revelations
- Dallas Running Club
Number of Years Running: 6
Number of Races: 10+
Number of Half Marathons: 3
Number of Marathons: 1
Completed Running/Fitness Goals or Highlights
|Bronda’s Duathlon||November, 2009||Fort Worth, TX|
|Classic Rock Triathlon||May, 2010||Rockwall, TX|
|Try the Tri Triathlon||June, 2010||Decatur, TX|
|Women’s Sprint Triathlon||October, 2010||Mansfield, TX|
|Cooper Sprint Triathlon||July, 2011||McKinney, TX|
|Blackland Triathlon||September, 2011||Plano, TX|
|13.1 Half Marathon||October, 2011||Dallas, TX|
|Kawanza Run/Walk for Diabetes||December, 2011||Dallas, TX|
|Hot Chocolate 15K||February, 2012||Dallas, TX|
Other Running/Fitness Goals or Highlights
- Completed 5 triathlons, 1 half-marathon, 1 duathlon and countless other local races.
- Featured in USAT Magazine, Fox Sports, Black America, WFAA, Essence, Fox and CW.
- Featured speaker at various workshops, seminars and expos such as Bronner Brothers International Hair show and Nappiology. Discussed the essentials of nutrition with hair growth, triathlon training and tips on workout hair care regiments.
Current Running/Fitness Goals
- Achieve total of 10 multisport events which include another triathlon, half and full marathon by the end of 2013.
- Earn the following badges of competition: 5k, 10k, 15k, half-marathon, marathon, duathlon and triathlon finisher.
Other Participative Sports
A little bit of everything: Triathlons, Dancing, Biking, Boxing and Lifting Weights
Favorite Race Location: Dallas – Hometown
Favorite Local Spot to Run: Katy Trail
Favorite Motivational Workout Song: “2 Legit To Quit” by MC Hammer
Favorite Workout Mantras
- Gotta Tri!
- Those who are saying it cannot be done should be careful not to interrupt those who are already doing it.
Favorite running heroes/mentors: Tony Reed – My Running Godfather
Selected articles about Alexandria are located at alexandriawill.com/media
Articles or Books Written by Alexandria are located at
What inspired you to pursue a healthy life style?
In an effort to bring healthy food choices for my recently-then diabetic grandmother, I began studying alternative-healthy food choices. I saw the correlation between diseases/medications and lifestyles within my neighborhood and did not want the same result for myself. This planted a seed for me to pursue a healthy lifestyle with small changes and evolved into a passion today.
What inspired you to pursue each of your running/fitness goals?
I wanted to complete a duathlon when I was 25. A few days before my 26th birthday, I embarked on my first duathlon race. After a series of unfortunate events, I was unable to finish the event’s last leg (run). The heart-break fueled a desire to complete a triathlon instead.
With the help of my a few friends, a triathlon coach, and swimming classes, I finished my first triathlon five months later. I evolved into a different person. The triathlon training lead to the creation of Sporty Afros, countless aches and pains, a nice collection of medals and race shirts, and countless memories and friends.
Last Updated: May 4, 2013