2013 National Black Marathoners Association (NBMA) Distance Runner Hall of Fame Banquet
The National Black Marathoners Association (NBMA) has selected the Inaugural National Black Distance Runner Hall of Fame honorees. The recipients will be celebrated at the NBMA Hall of Fame Banquet. The banquet is held in conjunction with the NBMA Annual Gathering at the Richmond Marathon.
- Date: Friday, November 15, 2013
- Time: 6:00PM to 8:30PM
- Place: The Imani Center Banquet Hall, 1506 Hull Street, Richmond, VA 23224.
- Price: $35 before October 7. $40 between October 7 and October 31. NOTE: Seating is limited.
THIS EVENT IS SOLD OUT.
- Convenient race packet pick-up at the dinner, instead of the Expo, for NBMA members. (See instructions below.)
- Pasta dinner
- Special recognition for NBMA member achievements (i.e. Boston Marathon, 50 States, seven continents, and 100 marathon finishers)
- NBMA Hall of Fame Inductions
- Expert panel discussion of Black distance running with Q&A
Our panel of expert distance runners, coaches, and moderator includes
- Isaiah Douglas – Running coach & 15-time Boston Marathon finisher
- Frederick Davis III – 450 marathon & ultramarathon finisher and 50 States finisher
- Toni Fields – NBMA board member, Boston finisher, seven continents finisher, snowboarder, and triathlete
- Charlotte Simmons-Foster – NBMA co-founder and board member, new mother, and international marathoner
- Tony Reed – NBMA co-founder and board member, running coach, seven continents, 50 States, and 125-time marathon finisher
The honorees (and a few of their many accomplishments) are
Trail Blazers Award – Based on involvement in the running community before 2004.
- Ranked as one of the world’s top ten fastest marathoners (1977).
- Won the 1977 and 1979 Maryland Marathons.
- Placed second at the 1977 Boston Marathon in 2:51:12.
- Considered to be one of the fathers of modern day distance running in the USA.
- Was the second person in the world and the first Black to run over 100 marathons and ultras (1966).
- Became the first African American to represent USA in the Olympic Marathon (1952).
Long Distance Runner Award – The candidate must have been a NBMA member for at least five years.
Mr. Frederick F. Davis III
- Completed over 450 marathons and ultramarathons.
- Won age group awards.
- 50 States marathon finisher.
Ms. Angela Ivory (late)
- Completed 303 marathons and ultramarathons.
- 50 States marathon finisher, possibly first Black female.
Running Community Service Award
Ms. Frances Gilbert
- Co-Founder of Cincinnati’s Avondale Running Club in 1984. They started running together in 1980.
- Flying Pig Marathon Board member, since 1999.
- Completed over 300 road races.
- Won over 150 trophies.
Mr. Warren Elzy
- Co-Founder of Cleveland’s Team Marathon in 1982.
- Received countless awards for top three age group finishes at various race distances.
- Finished many races in the top 3 -5% overall and was the overall winner in some races.
- Completed over 30 marathons with a 2:37:37 PR in 1989.
Running Club Award – South Fulton Running Partners
Banquet Packet Pick Up Instructions
If you want to retrieve your race packet at the banquet, you must
- Be a NBMA member. (Join for free at www.blackmarathoners.org/join/.)
- Register for a Richmond race (www.RichmondMarathon.com) before November 1 and check the NBMA box during the registration process. A portion of your registration fee is donated to the NBMA, a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization. If you already registered, but didn’t check the NBMA box, contact firstname.lastname@example.org and request that the box be checked.
- Purchase a banquet ticket before November 1. The web store account information will be used to match your Richmond race registration information and to create your banquet name tag. Thus, only one race packet may be picked up for one web store account. This option is NOT available after October 30.
NOTE: You may purchase additional seats for other banquet attendees. However, they will not be able to retrieve their race packets at the banquet or have their name tags pre-printed.
Saturday, November 16, 2013
Event: NBMA Ninth Annual US Gathering at the Anthem Richmond Marathon & Half Marathon.
- 7:00 AM – 8k start
- 7:30 AM – Half Marathon start (Wave A)
- 8:00 AM – Marathon start
- 3:00 PM – Marathon course closes
Sunday, November 17, 2013
- Event: Church Services
- Where: The Saint Paul’s Baptist Church, 4247 Creighton Road, Richmond, Virginia 23223
- Phone: (804) 643-4000
- Time: 8:45AM
- Website: http://www.myspbc.org/